• EVERY STUDENT, EVERY CHANCE, EVERY DAY •Dr. David E. Cash, Superintendent • 720 Santa Barbara Street, Santa Barbara, CA 93101 • (805) 963-4338
Wednesday, May 27, 2009
Eric Nichols, former elementary school teacher, teacher of the year in Fontana, CA, will be joining the Santa Barbara School Districts on July 1, as the new principal of Santa Barbara Community Academy. He will replace Amy Alzina, who will assume the principal position at Adams Elementary School.
“I am very excited and honored to be selected as the new principal of Santa Barbara Community Academy. Knowing all the amazing work that Mrs. Alzina has done, I want to build on her accomplishments and take the students and staff above and beyond their utmost potential. I am eager to enhance the curriculum and instruction by infusing technology in the classrooms. Since I believe that nine-tenths of education is encouragement, I want to empower the staff, students, and parents to be successful as they can be. I look forward to continuing to make Santa Barbara Community Academy the most positive learning environment and to develop our students’ knowledge, skills, and character.
“Eric is recognized for high expectations for students, close working relationships with parents and staff, focus on academic rigor, and effective utilization of data,” said Superintendent Brian Sarvis. He continued, “His high energy level and a collaborative nature will serve the culture of the Academy well.”
As a small school, the Academy principal position is a 75 percent position. Nichols will also carry leadership responsibility for district use of Edusoft, a web-based student assessment management system, for the remaining 25 percent of his time. His salary will be in the range of $98,428-$110,633.
The Santa Barbara Community Academy is a year round school, located at 850 Portesuello Avenue, Santa Barbara. The Academy serves 286 students in grades K-6. Established on July 19, 1999, the Academy is an official Core Knowledge school. In addition to covering required California Standards-based curricula, the Academy provides a rich content sequence in all subject areas, including the arts.